This afternoon, someone posted a very interesting list on the Diving Deeper workshop board: “10 reasons why I write”. I have no idea where the list emerged from, and it doesn’t matter. The concept of the list made me think about the reasons why I write. I don’t know that I have ever outright questions why I write, let alone made a list. I wasn’t sure that I could come up with just 10 but I did….
10 reasons why I write:
1. I must. If you have never been woken up at 3 am by a poem or story demanding to be written, it might be hard to understand. I have. I know better than to ignore.
2. I want to remember.
3. The monkeys are busy.
4. Idle hands…
5. I can’t juggle
6. One day maybe I won’t have a story to tell. I write now because I do.
7. Writing is like throwing a stone into a still pond, and I never know where the ripples will touch.
8. I am in love with how a brand new notebook feels in my hands
9. I have no wings – writing is as close to flying as I can get
10. …..sometimes all there is left to do is just write.